Jallikattu: Centre willing to withdraw notification

24 January, New Delhi

The Union of India Tuesday told the Supreme Court that it would withdraw its 2016 notification allowing Jallikattu in Tamil Nadu keeping in view the fresh legislation, passed by the state assembly on the issue.

Attorney General, Mukul Rohatgi, representing the Centre, told the bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra that it had decided to withdraw the January 6, 2016 notification issued by the Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) allowing the sport.

The court had earlier reserved its verdict on a slew of petitions challenging the notification and said the bench concerned would take a decision on when the application of the Centre would come up for its consideration.

Meanwhile, 70 caveats have been filed in the Supreme Court seeking prior hearing if pleas challenging the new legislation allowing Jallikattu in the state come up for consideration.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *